Allen Psychiatry is the first Neurostar TMS Therapy Center in Allen, TX
NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
NeuroStar Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy is a new treatment cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for patients suffering from depression who have not achieved satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant treatment. TMS stands for “transcranial magnetic stimulation.”
TMS Therapy is a treatment that can be performed in a psychiatrist’s office, under his or her supervision, using a medical device called the NeuroStar TMS Therapy system. NeuroStar TMS Therapy is:
- Non-invasive, meaning that it does not involve surgery. It does not require any anesthesia or sedation, as the patient remains awake and alert during the treatment
- Non-systemic, meaning that it is not taken by mouth and does not circulate in the blood stream throughout the body.
The typical initial treatment course consists of at least 5 treatments per week over a 4-6 week period, for an average of 20-30 total treatments. Each treatment session lasts approximately 19-40 minutes, depending on what the doctor determines is the correct protocol.
What is NeuroStar Advanced Therapy (TMS)?
During a NeuroStar treatment session, a magnet similar in strength to that used in a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is used to stimulate nerve cells in the area of the brain thought to control mood. These magnetic pulses may have a positive effect on the brain’s neurotransmitter levels, making long-term remission possible.
Treatment with NeuroStar Advanced Therapy is easy:
- Therapy sessions are conducted in your doctor’s office
- You can return to normal activities right away
- You are awake during treatment
- There are no negative effects on memory or sleep
- It’s covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Tricare
Is NeuroStar TMS Therapy® Right for You?
If you agree with two or more of these statements, NeuroStar Advanced Therapy (TMS) may be right for you.
- Depression symptoms have interfered with my daily life.
- I am not satisfied with the results I get from depression medication.
- I have had or worry about side effects from depression medications.
- I have switched medications for depression due to side effects.
- I am interested in a proven, non-drug therapy for depression.
For people with depression who have not benefited from antidepressant medication, NeuroStar TMS Therapy can offer hope
NeuroStar TMS Therapy may not be right for everyone, so talk to a us to learn more about how this proven alternative depression treatment has helped other people with their depression, and whether it may help you or your loved one.
TMS+YOU is an online community and national patient advocacy site for TMS Therapy. Those considering Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) can connect with patients who have had the treatment to answer questions, share insights, and get the latest information.
NeuroStar TMS Therapy is indicated for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode.
NeuroStar TMS Therapy is only available by prescription. A doctor can help decide if NeuroStar TMS Therapy is right for you.
Important Safety Information
The most common side effect is pain or discomfort at or near the treatment site. These events are transient; they occur during the TMS treatment course and do not occur for most patients after the first week of treatment. There is a rare risk of seizure associated with the use of NeuroStar TMS (<0.1% per patient).
NeuroStar TMS Therapy should not be used with patients who have non-removable conductive metal in or near the head. NeuroStar TMS Therapy has not been studied in patients who have not received prior antidepressant treatment.